Monday, July 27, 2009

To clear things up

Thought I'd let everyone know what's going on...it's been a few days. I've been to the naturopath a few times now to check up and start some different therapies he has recommended. I really like the diet suggestions he's made and I've started on a few supplements (protein, calcium, and anti-inflammatories). The therapies he says are to help increase circulation and get to my trigger points...but I'm still learning the new language. Since starting the therapies on Thursdays, I've had 2 bad nights and 2 good nights, so I'm not out of the woods yet.

Naturopathy seems to be a bit controversial these days, or maybe I've just never opened up the topic with anyone. My brother works in California as a psychologist with autism and sees bad outcomes because of naturopathy, of people pouring money into endless treatments and no results, or worse. That's my disclaimer. We have gone into this because we had exhausted the treatments with the gastroenterologist, except for starting steroids and another round of antibiotics if it was to get worse. I don't want to approve of ALL naturopathy, just as I don't want to approve of ALL medicine. I want to continue cautiously with the treatments I receive, with my body, with my healing.

But please don't give up your doctors and ultrasounds and prescriptions, that was never my intention. I'm a nurse...I believe in medicine's place in our lives as I believe in supporting other treatments as well. I think our bodies have an amazing capacity of knowing how to heal, and along with the right help (be it herbal or synthetic or whatever), healing will take place. I hope to use a midwife when my babies are born to have less medical intervention, but I know an obstetrician needs to be available in case of complications. I think it's finding a balance of where you are comfortable, not being blind to the realities, understanding options.

So that's the road I'm on. The road to recovery I'm hoping! It has been a long, long time since going a few nights in a row without pain and I am anxious to feel "normal" again. I am anxious to see my husband. I am anxious to live my daily life again. I move forward prayerfully in my decisions, hoping that I take the right steps.

2 comments:

Cali said...

My heart goes out to you. I hope you find the help that you need to get well and return home to your husband. Before using fertility meds I went to a Naturopath for about 6 months. I wanted to try a more natural way before synthetic. In the end, we had to use fertility meds but who knows... maybe the herbs helped. I have had great success treating my allergies with herbs but I completely agree with you. Treatment is individual and one should do what works for them!

Good luck.. let us know when you're feeling up to a visit! :)

Cali

Anonymous said...

Hi Jessie,
I am behind you 100%! Some things work just because we need them to and that is OK too. You have an open mind and you will decide what your body needs for this problem. You are in mty orayersd always. Keep the faith.
Uncle Mark