Wednesday, November 18, 2009

Growing pains


These last few days have been hard for me. I've been brought back to the realities of poverty and the needs of these kids. The needs. Oh, how the needs overwhelm me. I started doing teeth cleanings on the kindergarteners and am now up to 2nd grade and each grade gets progressively worse with the amount of damage and decay in their mouths. It's not surprising, I knew it and I expected it. But to actually open the mouth of a 5-year old and see teeth half-rotten, others missing, and him telling me how much it hurts...I feel, well, helpless.
That's been the biggest feeling apart from just an achey heart for each one of these guys. I'm still trying to wrap my head around a little girl being sent to school with a black eye last week, supposedly fell on a rock. She's 6. It's the same as the tooth decay...I know it exists but to actually have a little girl right in front of me who can barely open her eye and who is telling me lies that she's been told to pass on from someone who beat her. Achey heart. Helpless. I guess that's what poverty, injustice does. I just wish I could do something about it.

1 comment:

Vicki said...

you ARE doing something about it!!!!! it is called loving