Thursday, August 06, 2009

Summer Update Letter

The months seem to fly by and already I find myself at the end of summer, looking forward to the start of a new school year. In May we finished strong for the year with a great Mother’s Day program and presentations. I feel like this past school year has been our best yet as I reflect on the progress, growth, and maturing that has taken place. We worked hard with attendance and had almost 20 (not all pictured) kids with perfect attendance this year! For me that is HUGE because these kids mostly have only themselves to push them out the door each day. I am proud like a mother of each one of them and am excited for all that lies ahead this coming school year.

The biggest challenge these last three months has been my never-ending illness. Ariel and I were tested quickly in our marriage on the vow “in sickness and in health”. I became very sick in the DR and after being hospitalized for a week, and then not improving in the week to follow, we decided it was best to seek care in the States. It was one of the hardest decisions to make, but we knew it had to be done. I spent 3 days in the hospital in Oregon and have since been on numerous meds, in and out of doctor’s offices, and after almost two months in the States, I am so happy to say that I am feeling pain free and healthy again! It is still a slow process of getting my stomach strong again, and a little frustrating that no definitive diagnosis was found apart from gastritis, but the important part is I will be back with Ariel soon! This has also been a great time to be cared for by family and friends and a place where I have been able to truly heal.

On that same note, we have a new financial need that hospitals, medicines, and immediate travel have created, on top of regular needs. I thank God for those who continue to give so faithfully and ask that you would pray with us that the monthly support and one-time donations we are in need of would come in, as we trust will happen. If you would like to send support, the address is listed on the bottom. You can also support online through http://www.kidsalive.org/ (follow “Around the World” then “Dominican Republic” to find me)

With much love, Jessi

JNicole228@yahoo.com

Please send financial support noted for Jessi Veras to: Kids Alive , PO Box 2117, Valparaiso IN 46384

No comments: