Wednesday, March 28, 2007

Hens

So as I've said before, Mercy Ships is here helping us with lots of things at the school. One of the main projects they are putting in place is a hen house, which will provide eggs and someday meat for the kids at school. Well, Monday was a big day out where we went to a few different cities to look at hens and hen house equipment...it was a good day full of new Spanish words, as I served as translator.

A few fun facts about hens that I've learned:
You don't need a rooster for hens to lay eggs
The thing on top of the head is called a comb
The thing under their chin is called the Waddle
The comb and waddle turn red when they are mature
When they begin laying, hens lay 90% (so if we have 100 hens, we should get 90 eggs/day)

That's it for now, but I'm sure there are more facts ahead as I venture into hen house land.

No comments: